could not open default font 'fixed' - revisited

All,

I have read the thread on this error and while interesting and
captivating, it doesn't appear to apply to my installation.

I heard cygwin switched to X.org from XFree86 over licensing, etc. I
decided groovy, my cygwin installation is getting a bit stale anyway.
So, I deleted my cygwin directory along with all the references in the
registry and downloaded the realease directory, and burned it to DVD
(can't believe it won't fit on a CD anymore) yesterday. I ran setup,
pointed it to my spankin' new cygwin DVD and let 'er rip for a while.
The installation worked like a charm for the command line stuff. I did
my usual tweakage - added %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 to cygwin.bat,
add Cygwin Prompt Here to the registry, associated .sh files with
cygwin.bat and installed my brand new _fullbackup.sh and _incbackup.sh
files (thanks Fred Kulack for the -T- steer - embedded spaces are SUCH
a pain) and added them to the Scheduled Tasks. I ran both jobs once to
be sure they worked and Voila! Eureka! it worked.

However, I then tried to run startx from the command line to compare
X.org with the previous XFree86 and bummer, dude...
~    could not open default font 'fixed'
ouch, looked in the archives for this list, read the thread and looked
at the faq entry, but neither possibility appears to apply:

1. xorg-x11-fnts is missing - nope, it's there.
2. /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts is invalid, ls lists all the normal
directories and misc contains a slew of .pcf.gz files.

I reran /etc/postinstall/xorg-x11-fnts.sh.done, but it didn't fix anything.

here's some of the output of the command (extraneous stuff omitted
including extra linebreaks).

Please give a helpful suggestion as to next steps...

Thanks,

Will
- -----------------snip
$ startx
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.7.0.0-9
Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
XWin was started with the following command line:
X :0 -multiwindow -clipboard
(snip)
(EE) Keyboardlayout "US" (00000409) is unknown
Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)"
Options = "(null)"
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
removing from list!
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'