RE: C:\cygwin & sub folder will not delete after failed install of cygwi 1.5.10-

  Maybe it's just that the perms are wrong because the install went wrong.
Make sure you're logged in as local administrator, then try

chdir /cygdrive/c/dead
chown -R Administrator *
rm -rf *

(alternatively, right click the 'dead' folder in windoze explorer, bring up
the properties, click to the Security tab, click 'Advanced', click to the
'Owner' tab, and change the owner to your user name, selecting the option to
apply the change to all subcontainers and objects; then you should be able
to delete it from explorer).

    cheers,
      DaveK