RE: file not recognized:File format not recognized

  Notice how the error message comes from collect2.  That means gcc is
attempting to link that .c file as if it were a .o file.  Something is
terribly wrong here, gcc should have deduced the file type as source not
object from the .c extension.

  Therefore I think Dana has not reported the exact command line that was in
use, but has re-typed it rather than cut-and-pasted it and omitted some
vital details.

  Dana, try doing "gcc -v test.c" instead, and cut and paste the output into
a reply... that should give us more information about which file is actually
being compiled and what the compiler thinks it's trying to do.

    cheers,
      DaveK