CVS commit problem under Win98

I am having problems trying to use cvs under Win98.
Everything seems to work fine except when I commit a file and then I get
the error message of the form
cvs [commit aborted]: cannot change mode for /d/cvs/unittest/,OTATester.py,:
Permission denied

Everything used to work correctly (some checked in files have datestamps of
1 June) and I don't know what has changed since then apart from a cygwin
update.

I know that chmod doesn't work for Win98 has something in cvs changed such
that this now matter?

Is there something I missed that I need to update?
Or does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks for any ideas.

Eric