Re: >> Hanging SH.EXE in Cygwin App <<

Larry,

It's usually a good idea to send Cygwin-related questions to the Cygwin
mailing list instead of via private mail, unless specifically requested.
Not only will you get access to more expertise than any one person can
provide, but your questions (and answers to them) will get archived on
the web, which lets others with similar problems search for them.
I'm redirecting this question to the Cygwin list, and setting the Reply-To
accordingly.  Please keep the rest of this discussion on the list.

More below.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Larry Adams wrote:

> Igor,
>
> Noted you had something to say about a problem with threading and
> cygwin1.dll.  I have an issue that when I utilize the POPEN command to "php"
> combined with a mutex lock using cygwin1.dll that form some reason the
> resulting SH.EXE, will from time to time hang at between 90-100% CPU and
> essentially crash the app.  The other mutex calls in the application seem to
> be alright and POPEN calls to other apps such as "perl" seem to be alright
> (unconfirmed).  I did have problems utilizing POPEN to "syslog", but was
> able to create a mutex lock around the call that seems to have eliminated
> the problem.  I saw a post about "Anonymous Pipes" causing these hang's and
> I also noted some posts relative to a thread deadlocks.
>
> My question to you is since you are an active poster to the cygwin forums,
> 1) are you familiar with this issue 2) can you describe the issue 3) is
> there any workaround.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Larry Adams

There are many reasons why a program would take high CPU cycles.  It's
very hard to make guesses about a completely unknown system.  As always,
unless you manage to provide the exact instructions for reproducing the
problem (or, better yet, a reliable testcase), you are the best person to
debug this.

I suggest you start by reading and following the Cygwin problem reporting
guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, so that the list knows a
bit about your machine.  Also, please check whether some other programs
potentially interfere with Cygwin, particularly a firewall or antivirus
software.  You could also try to attach to the hung process with strace or
gdb to see where the cycles are spent.
HTH,
	Igor
--