Ctrl-Z fails to suspend Windows programs

[Using bash 2.05b-16 or zsh 4.2.0-2, with cygwin 1.5.10-3 on WinXP]

If I run a Windows program from bash, such as notepad.exe, and then press the
suspend character (^Z, according to `stty'), nothing happens.  In fact, after
typing ^Z, ^C also fails to work, although ^C works fine if I don't first type
^Z.

^Z seems to successfully interrupt cygwin programs, e.g., if I type `ls
/c/windows/sytem32', ^Z suspends this as expected.

Is it a known limitation that "native" Windows programs cannot be suspended?
(I've searched the FAQ and mla to no avail.)

The problem happens when using cygwin bash or zsh, from either a command prompt
or rxvt window, with or without CYGWIN set to tty.

Thanks,

    --- John