Re: cygwin installer

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:55:57AM -0400, Jonah Bossewitch wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the direction of
>some documentation for creating a standalone windows installer for a
>cygwin based application.
>
>What I mean by this, is a one-click installer that ships with the cygwin
>dlls, and all the necessary dependancies, along with the application
>that we are porting. So, if a user doesn't have cygwin, they don't need
>to install it separately first.  I understand that people with cygwin
>already installed may need to download a separate binary since the
>installer might mess up their existing installation.
>
>I have seen one or two projects that seem to have accomplished this
>using NSIS (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/) to create this installer, but
>I am having a hard time tracking down how they accomplished this.
>
>On a related note, I want to make sure that this technique conforms to
>the cygwin license.  If it makes a difference, the application we are
>porting is for an educational non-profit - a medical school which has a
>command line genetics simulation program.

The licensing issue is pretty simple.  Cygwin is released under the
GPL.  Read up on the GPL or, better yet, get your lawyer to read up
on it if you are planning on distributing the Cygwin DLL or binaries
built using cygwin.

The bottom line is that you have to make the sources available under
the rules of the GPL.

cgf