Uninstalling cygwin

A colleague at work is having some problems that are starting to look
as though they're due to a permission problem.

I note that the FAQ at http://cygwin.com/faq.html says that Cygwin has
no automatic uninstall facility.  Since setup lets you choose to
uninstall, is that an error in the FAQ, or have I misunderstood setup's
uninstall option?

Incidentally, neither setup uninstall nor manual removal worked, since
the colleague (despite being local administrator for the machine), did
not have permission to remove various files.  The Cygwin install was
done by a system administrator here; the uninstall was attempted by the
privileged user (preparatory to a reinstall, BTW).

I just wanted to report the FAQ oddity; I'll continue looking through
the mailing list for info on the permission problem (his Cygwin version
could be anything up to 6 months old, so I can't give much useful info).

I've also been re-reading http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html,
and I notice that both the examples 2-1 and 2-2 for /etc/passwd and
/etc/group, and also the later section that describes the new scheme,
refer to groups (like 513 - none, and 547 - powerusers or pwrusers) that
don't seem to exist.

Regards,

luke