RE: Wrapping long lines (Was Re: FAQ update suggestion for "I'm having basic problems with find. Why?")

  LOL, you haven't been on the internet long have you?

> There is a phrase that goes:
>
>   "Be permissive in what you accept, and strict in what you send"
>
> Now this is just a phrase, and by itself does not have significance.
>
> However it is well understood to be a concise summary of a
> set of ideas
> which are generally accepted to be sound.
>
> If you are developing a system which implements a web-accessible mail
> archive where the archive contains messages from many
> disparate sources,
> then I would have thought that this would be one guideline
> you should be
> paying attention to.

  There's another phrase that goes:

    "If you're archiving people's posts for all time, there is a moral
obligation on you to archive them absolutely *verbatim* and not tamper with,
edit, reformat, or otherwise alter them."

    cheers,
      DaveK