Re: UNC Pathname Handling within Applications

* Christopher Faylor wrote (2004-07-16 23:19):
>On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 09:55:49PM +0200, Thorsten Haude wrote:
>>* Larry Hall wrote (2004-07-16 21:19):
>>Your email client *sets* Mail-Followup-To, so it must be pretty crappy
>>to ignore it on inbound mail.
>This field is added by the ezmlm software that is used to manage our
>mailing lists.

Ah, so he is just ignoring good advice given by the list software.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Sorry Larry, your mailer is not crappy.

>>I've never seen an MDA recipe that deletes the *first* mail of an
>>identical set.  It's rather hard to do, too, since the MDA would have
>>to remember where that first mail went.
>More things in heaven and earth, Horatio?
> From the procmailex manpage:
>   If  you are subscribed to several mailinglists and people cross-post to
>   some of them, you usually receive several  duplicate  mails  (one  from
>   every  list).   The following simple recipe eliminates duplicate mails.
>   It tells formail to keep an 8KB cache file in which it will  store  the
>   Message-IDs  of  the most recent mails you received.  Since Message-IDs
>   are guaranteed to be unique for every new mail, they are ideally suited
>   to  weed  out  duplicate mails.  Simply put the following recipe at the
>   top of your rcfile, and no duplicate mail will get past it.
>	  :0 Wh: msgid.lock
>	  | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

I don't intend to install procmail to test this, but are you sure that
this recipe deletes the *first* of the two mails? From the manpage, it
looks like the second mail would be removed.

The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to
strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but
allow very lively debate within that spectrum.
    - Noam Chomsky