Re: [?] Install

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, John Smith wrote:

> I am a first time user of cygwin. I recently downloaded the packages
> which I would like to install to my HD but now I am confused as to how
> to install the files on my system.
> So could some one give me some direction on how to accomplish this. I
> have oppted not to use the automatic install which is allowed with the
> setup.exe becuase I am planing on slipstreaming cygwin once I have
> figuredout how to install the packages which I have selected.

The cygwin setup.exe tool supports separate download and installation.
You can either use setup.exe itself to first download packages and then
install from a local repository, or, if you know what you are doing, use
one of the alternative download mechanisms, the best known of which are
probably the script and local mirroring using rsync.  The script can be found on Google, and the local mirroring is
documented in <>.

It is highly recommended that you only use Cygwin's setup.exe to install
Cygwin packages, unless you *really* know what you're doing.  If setup.exe
is not used for your installation, you can expect little support on this

Hope this clarifies matters,