MySQL Doesn't Respond After Cygwin Install, Please Help Me.

Hello All,

Thank you for reading this email.

I have the following Configuration
Windows 2000 Server
MySQL Win32 Binaries Installed
Current Release of Cygwin installed

I am trying to access mysql from the bash shell rather than the command line.
It was working fine until now, but for some reason I can't issue commands to mysql from the bash shell.
I have tried to uninstall and reinstall Cygwin.
I have tried to uninstall and reinstall MySQL.

But the problem is still there.
I can connect from the C: prompt and I can issue a select statement from the BASH shell if I put the -e flag after mysql., but I can not just type mysql and get the standard, Welcome to MySQL blah blah..

example.
$ mysql

nothing happens. But if I do this
$ mysql -e "select * from user" mysql

I get rows returned.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem, I would appreciate it. I am a newbie at GNU Shells.

Thanks

+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Variable_name                   | Value                                                                                                                                                                                                   |
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| back_log                        | 50                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| basedir                         | C:\mysql\                                                                                                                                                                                               |
| binlog_cache_size               | 32768                                                                                                                                                                                                   |
| character_set                   | latin1                                                                                                                                                                                                  |
| character_sets                  | latin1 big5 czech euc_kr gb2312 gbk sjis tis620 ujis dec8 dos german1 hp8 koi8_ru latin2 swe7 usa7 cp1251 danish hebrew win1251 estonia hungarian koi8_ukr win1251ukr greek win1250 croat cp1257 latin5 |
| concurrent_insert               | ON                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| connect_timeout                 | 5                                                                                                                                                                                                       |
| datadir                         | C:\mysql\data\                                                                                                                                                                                          |
| delay_key_write                 | ON                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| delayed_insert_limit            | 100                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| delayed_insert_timeout          | 300                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| delayed_queue_size              | 1000                                                                                                                                                                                                    |
| flush                           | OFF                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| flush_time                      | 1800                                                                                                                                                                                                    |
| have_bdb                        | NO                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| have_gemini                     | NO                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| have_innodb                     | NO                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| have_isam                       | YES                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| have_raid                       | NO                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| have_openssl                    | NO                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| init_file                       |                                                                                                                                                                                                         |
| interactive_timeout             | 28800                                                                                                                                                                                                   |
| join_buffer_size                | 131072                                                                                                                                                                                                  |
| key_buffer_size                 | 8388600                                                                                                                                                                                                 |
| language                        | C:\mysql\share\english\                                                                                                                                                                                 |
| large_files_support             | ON                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| log                             | OFF                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| log_update                      | OFF                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| log_bin                         | OFF                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| log_slave_updates               | OFF                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| log_long_queries                | OFF                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| long_query_time                 | 10                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| low_priority_updates            | OFF                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| lower_case_table_names          | 1                                                                                                                                                                                                       |
| max_allowed_packet              | 1048576                                                                                                                                                                                                 |
| max_binlog_cache_size           | 4294967295                                                                                                                                                                                              |
| max_binlog_size                 | 1073741824                                                                                                                                                                                              |
| max_connections                 | 100                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| max_connect_errors              | 10                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| max_delayed_threads             | 20                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| max_heap_table_size             | 16777216                                                                                                                                                                                                |
| max_join_size                   | 4294967295                                                                                                                                                                                              |
| max_sort_length                 | 1024                                                                                                                                                                                                    |
| max_user_connections            | 0                                                                                                                                                                                                       |
| max_tmp_tables                  | 32                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| max_write_lock_count            | 4294967295                                                                                                                                                                                              |
| myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size | 256                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| myisam_max_sort_file_size       | 2047                                                                                                                                                                                                    |
| myisam_recover_options          | 0                                                                                                                                                                                                       |
| myisam_sort_buffer_size         | 8388608                                                                                                                                                                                                 |
| named_pipe                      | OFF                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| net_buffer_length               | 16384                                                                                                                                                                                                   |
| net_read_timeout                | 30                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| net_retry_count                 | 10                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| net_write_timeout               | 60                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| open_files_limit                | 0                                                                                                                                                                                                       |
| pid_file                        | C:\mysql\data\b06squ.pid                                                                                                                                                                                |
| port                            | 3306                                                                                                                                                                                                    |
| protocol_version                | 10                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| record_buffer                   | 131072                                                                                                                                                                                                  |
| record_rnd_buffer               | 131072                                                                                                                                                                                                  |
| query_buffer_size               | 0                                                                                                                                                                                                       |
| safe_show_database              | OFF                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| server_id                       | 0                                                                                                                                                                                                       |
| slave_net_timeout               | 3600                                                                                                                                                                                                    |
| skip_locking                    | ON                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| skip_networking                 | OFF                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| skip_show_database              | OFF                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| slow_launch_time                | 2                                                                                                                                                                                                       |
| socket                          | MySQL                                                                                                                                                                                                   |
| sort_buffer                     | 2097144                                                                                                                                                                                                 |
| sql_mode                        | 0                                                                                                                                                                                                       |
| table_cache                     | 64                                                                                                                                                                                                      |
| table_type                      | MYISAM                                                                                                                                                                                                  |
| thread_cache_size               | 0                                                                                                                                                                                                       |
| thread_stack                    | 65536                                                                                                                                                                                                   |
| transaction_isolation           | READ-COMMITTED                                                                                                                                                                                          |
| timezone                        | Central Daylight Time                                                                                                                                                                                   |
| tmp_table_size                  | 33554432                                                                                                                                                                                                |
| tmpdir                          | C:\WINNT\TEMP\                                                                                                                                                                                          |
| version                         | 3.23.52-nt                                                                                                                                                                                              |
| wait_timeout                    | 28800                                                                                                                                                                                                   |
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

+--------------------------+-------+
| Variable_name            | Value |
+--------------------------+-------+
| Aborted_clients          | 1     |
| Aborted_connects         | 0     |
| Bytes_received           | 0     |
| Bytes_sent               | 0     |
| Com_admin_commands       | 0     |
| Com_alter_table          | 0     |
| Com_analyze              | 0     |
| Com_backup_table         | 0     |
| Com_begin                | 0     |
| Com_change_db            | 0     |
| Com_change_master        | 0     |
| Com_check                | 0     |
| Com_commit               | 0     |
| Com_create_db            | 0     |
| Com_create_function      | 0     |
| Com_create_index         | 0     |
| Com_create_table         | 0     |
| Com_delete               | 0     |
| Com_drop_db              | 0     |
| Com_drop_function        | 0     |
| Com_drop_index           | 0     |
| Com_drop_table           | 0     |
| Com_flush                | 0     |
| Com_grant                | 0     |
| Com_insert               | 0     |
| Com_insert_select        | 0     |
| Com_kill                 | 0     |
| Com_load                 | 0     |
| Com_load_master_table    | 0     |
| Com_lock_tables          | 0     |
| Com_optimize             | 0     |
| Com_purge                | 0     |
| Com_rename_table         | 0     |
| Com_repair               | 0     |
| Com_replace              | 0     |
| Com_replace_select       | 0     |
| Com_reset                | 0     |
| Com_restore_table        | 0     |
| Com_revoke               | 0     |
| Com_rollback             | 0     |
| Com_select               | 0     |
| Com_set_option           | 0     |
| Com_show_binlogs         | 0     |
| Com_show_create          | 0     |
| Com_show_databases       | 0     |
| Com_show_fields          | 0     |
| Com_show_grants          | 0     |
| Com_show_keys            | 0     |
| Com_show_logs            | 0     |
| Com_show_master_status   | 0     |
| Com_show_open_tables     | 0     |
| Com_show_processlist     | 0     |
| Com_show_slave_status    | 0     |
| Com_show_status          | 1     |
| Com_show_innodb_status   | 0     |
| Com_show_tables          | 0     |
| Com_show_variables       | 1     |
| Com_slave_start          | 0     |
| Com_slave_stop           | 0     |
| Com_truncate             | 0     |
| Com_unlock_tables        | 0     |
| Com_update               | 0     |
| Connections              | 4     |
| Created_tmp_disk_tables  | 0     |
| Created_tmp_tables       | 0     |
| Created_tmp_files        | 0     |
| Delayed_insert_threads   | 0     |
| Delayed_writes           | 0     |
| Delayed_errors           | 0     |
| Flush_commands           | 1     |
| Handler_delete           | 0     |
| Handler_read_first       | 1     |
| Handler_read_key         | 0     |
| Handler_read_next        | 0     |
| Handler_read_prev        | 0     |
| Handler_read_rnd         | 0     |
| Handler_read_rnd_next    | 9     |
| Handler_update           | 0     |
| Handler_write            | 0     |
| Key_blocks_used          | 0     |
| Key_read_requests        | 0     |
| Key_reads                | 0     |
| Key_write_requests       | 0     |
| Key_writes               | 0     |
| Max_used_connections     | 0     |
| Not_flushed_key_blocks   | 0     |
| Not_flushed_delayed_rows | 0     |
| Open_tables              | 0     |
| Open_files               | 0     |
| Open_streams             | 0     |
| Opened_tables            | 6     |
| Questions                | 4     |
| Select_full_join         | 0     |
| Select_full_range_join   | 0     |
| Select_range             | 0     |
| Select_range_check       | 0     |
| Select_scan              | 0     |
| Slave_running            | OFF   |
| Slave_open_temp_tables   | 0     |
| Slow_launch_threads      | 0     |
| Slow_queries             | 0     |
| Sort_merge_passes        | 0     |
| Sort_range               | 0     |
| Sort_rows                | 0     |
| Sort_scan                | 0     |
| Table_locks_immediate    | 5     |
| Table_locks_waited       | 0     |
| Threads_cached           | 0     |
| Threads_created          | 3     |
| Threads_connected        | 1     |
| Threads_running          | 1     |
| Uptime                   | 1912  |
+--------------------------+-------+
112 rows in set (0.01 sec)

#This File was made using the WinMySQLAdmin 1.4 Tool
#7/21/2004 4:09:20 PM

#Uncomment or Add only the keys that you know how works.
#Read the MySQL Manual for instructions

[mysqld]
basedir=C:/mysql
#bind-address=192.168.1.222
datadir=C:/mysql/data
#language=C:/mysql/share/your language directory
#slow query log#=
#tmpdir#=
#port=3306
#set-variable=key_buffer=16M