Re: question about shared memory in the cygwin daemon

On Aug  4 14:53, Clarke, Trevor wrote:

> We currently run on 32bit windows and 32/64but solaris with near future
> plans to run on 64bit windows. The product is for a specific client so
> we can assume 4gb or more of physical ram.

You can't access more than 2GB (or 3GB with the appropriate kernel flag)
from any 32 bit Windows process.  Since Cygwin's shared memory capabilities
are restricted to what the operating system allows, Cygwin won't change that
for you.  When running Cygwin on Windows 64, it's still a 32 bit DLL, only
linkable with 32 bit applications so the usual 32 bit restrictions still
apply.

Just as a friendly reminder, since you're talking about using Cygwin in
an apparently proprietary project, I'd like to point you to the Cygwin
licensing terms:  http://cygwin.com/licensing.html

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.