Re: cygrunsrv xinetd problem

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Marcin Lewandowski wrote:

> > Which is the actual message from xinetd, and is *very* helpful.  This
> > basically says that the service manager couldn't execute the xinetd
> > program when running as SYSTEM.  Check the permissions on both
> > /usr/sbin/xinetd and /bin/cygwin1.dll (and whatever other DLLs the xinetd
> > program depends on -- see the output of "cygcheck /usr/sbin/xinetd.exe").
> > Make sure all of them are executable by SYSTEM.
>
> Well, still doesn't work. That's what I did:
> First, I checked normal windows permissions - SYSTEM has all rights
> to c:\cygwin dir and subdirs, inherited from permissions to whole drive.
> Next, I checked 'linux' permissions displayed by 'ls -al', and changed
> them to 755, since user 'Marcin' owns both files.

Did you also check the permissions on all the programs that xinetd tries
to invoke (e.g., /usr/sbin/ftpd.exe, if you enabled ftp)?

> However, I still get the same message when I try to run the service.

Make sure you've deleted the log files before attempting to start the
service (see <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-08/msg01222.html>).

> The printout from cygcheck /usr/sbin/xinetd.exe shows only these two
> files listed + some files in System32 dir.

Try opening a SYSTEM-owned shell (see the recent thread,
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-08/msg01132.html>), and run xinetd
directly from the command line in that shell.  If it runs there, compare
the environment settings for the service with the environment settings in
that shell.  If it doesn't run there, the errors you get should be helpful
in diagnosing the problem and experimenting.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw