RE: How to detect a broken Cygwin mirror?

  I don't think it's a sensible policy to be permanently chasing the
bleeding-edge of development in a production environment.  I think you
should set up your mirror with known good and stable versions of the tools
you need in your environment and then freeze it, and only update parts of it
as and when specifically needed and after testing and change control.  IOW,
I think this problem is better solved by development methodology and
management techniques than by a shell script.

    cheers,
      DaveK