RE: Program exited with code 0303000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bobby McNulty
> Sent: 27 September 2004 18:49

  Bobby, your advice is going from bad to worse.  Nothing you have said is
right, and you keep on repeating things that you have already been told
don't work.  You don't accurately read the things that are in front of your
face before you reply.  THAT'S WHY I'M GOING TO BE SHOUTING AT YOU QUITE A
LOT IN THIS LETTER, BECAUSE YOU DON'T ACTUALLY LISTEN TO ANYTHING ANYONE
SAYS TO YOU, YOU JUST ASSUME THEY'RE WRONG AND YOU'RE RIGHT AND I HOPE IF I
SHOUT LOTS YOU'LL ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO HEAR ME.

  Dan, Bobby doesn't have any idea what he's talking about.  Ignore his
advice.  Every single word of it.

  Yes, he did, and that is correct.  That is what it is supposed to be,
albeit with the correction that he should have left 'usr' out of the path.

> You are right, it should be
> set error_start=d:\cygwin\bin\dumper.

  I DIDNT SAY THAT **AND** IT ISN'T TRUE.

  LOOK, IT'S _STILL_ RIGHT UP THERE AT THE TOP OF THE POST.  RIGHT IN FRONT
OF YOUR FACE.  CAN'T YOU BE _BOTHERED_ TO ACTUALLY READ IT?

  HERE, LET ME COPY IT FOR YOU SO YOU CAN SEE HOW WRONG YOU ARE:

> > #1:  That's the wrong environment variable.  You want to
> set CYGWIN to
> > contain, among any other options, the text
> > "error_start=D:\cygwin\bin\dumper.exe".  You told him to set
> > CYGWIN_error_start, which is a different variable

  **I** told him to set CYGWIN.  I was RIGHT.

  **YOU** told him to set error_start.  You are WRONG.  LOOK:

http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html

"One common way to use dumper is to plug it into cygwin's Just-In-Time
debugging facility by adding
error_start=x:\path\to\dumper.exe
to the CYGWIN environment variable."

  READ THE CYGWIN FAQ.  READ THE USER GUIDE.  STOP MAKING POSTS ABOUT THINGS
YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT.  CHECK YOUR FACTS BEFORE YOU HIT SEND.

> As to the problem in the code,
> He needs to examine his code closely through a text editor.

  WHAT?

  HOW MUCH MORE RIDICULOUS CAN YOU GET?

  HE'S ALREADY RUNNING IT UNDER A DEBUGGER.  HE CAN NOT ONLY READ ALL THE
CODE, HE CAN EXAMINE THE VARIABLES AND SET BREAKPOINTS AND STEP OVER
INSTRUCTIONS AND EVERYTHING ELSE AS WELL.

  WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU SUGGEST SOMETHING SO RIDICULOUS AS TO STOP USING
THE DEBUGGER AND SWITCH BACK TO JUST READING OVER THE CODE IN A TEXT EDITOR?

> SEGV is a segment fault

  That's the ONLY thing you've gotten right so far.

>which is caused by placing a char
> where an int
> should be or vice versa. I know. My trek trivia program had
> this problem

  You DON'T know.  Just because you once had a program with a SEGV, doesn't
mean you understand what a SEGV is about nor what causes it.  Just to spell
it out for you in REALLY SIMPLE WORDS:

  ***LOTS*** OF THINGS can cause a SEGV.  NOT JUST ONE.

> for years before I finally fixed it.
> The disk I had had the same error because I did not replace
> the broken
> code with the fixed code.

  And saying this is your idea of impressing us with your range of computer
skills?

  Phew.  I'm off to get some cough medicine for my sore throat now.

    cheers,
      DaveK