This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: SSH + CVS But no login.
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:47:42 +0200
- Subject: Re: SSH + CVS But no login.
- References: <307790-22004103610273860@M2W079.mail2web.com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Oct 6 06:27, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
> >Urgh! SYSTEM is the account sshd is running under. Don't remove that.
> Various Guest/System accounts that weren't the SYSTEM account, I removed
> IUSR_MOTHER and IWAM_MOTHER, the ASP.NET user etc.
Ah, ok. That makes it clearer.
> Without an entry in the cygwin passwd file a user with a valid windows
> login can not authenticate into cygwin.
> Was this wrong?
I just jumped up when I read the word "system". I'd remove only additional
accounts which are not used anyway (as the above noted IUSR_foo accounts).
Personally I'm in favor of keeping these accounts in the file and just do
one or many of
- Disable the account in the Windows user management console
- Set the login shell in /etc/passwd to /bin/false
- Use the AllowUsers and DenyUsers entries in sshd_config
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader mailto:email@example.com
Red Hat, Inc.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html