vim problem with my install, y?

Hi List,

Just installed cygwin, and tried to use vi.  For some reason, which I
hope someone on the list will make abundantly clear to me, all the
keyboard input was focused into the leftmost, topmost character of my
edit screen.

I tried reinstalling vim, uninstalling and going back a version, and
reinstalling all of cygwin, all to no avail.

Tried searching the archives with the string "vim problem"(hence the
subject line of this post).  It looked like everything returned was
related to something other than vim problems.  I'm learning here,
could've made a mistake.

Please tell me what I've done wrong.  Is there an environment variable
or something that I've missed?

Thanks,
Frank