.bashrc not called for non-interactive ssh sessions

As best as I can tell from the archives and man pages, ~/.bashrc
should be called when starting an ssh session - both interactive and
non-interactive.  Tests on my Linux box behave as expected:

ssh linuxbox
ssh linuxbox pwd
ssh cygwinbox

But ssh cygwinbox pwd does *not* call ~/.bashrc...

>From the bash man page:

       Bash attempts to determine when it is being run  by  the  remote  shell
       daemon,  usually  rshd.  If bash determines it is being run by rshd, it
       reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists and  is
       readable.  It will not do this if invoked as sh.  The --norc option may
       be used to inhibit this behavior, and the --rcfile option may  be  used
       to  force  another  file to be read, but rshd does not generally invoke
       the shell with those options or allow them to be specified.