RE: http://rateless.com/ GPL violation?

  nonono, that's exactly what I was referring to; I just didn't go back and cut
and paste it verbatim, but paraphrased it from memory.

> Yep, now I downloaded version of copy for windows and
> windows-with-cygwin,
> the only difference is the bundled cygwin1.dll, the .exe's
> are identical.

  Huh?  That's interesting; there was no bundled dll in the one that I downloaded,
but it doesn't matter: merely *linking* against the cygwin dll is sufficient to
GPL your program.

> It's not the current dll either.
> Strings include
> -LIBGCCW32-EH-SJLJ-GTHR-CYGWIN
> cygwin_internal
> cygwin1.dll

  Heh, isn't it Dave Aitel who's always saying "strings is not a tool for reverse
engineering...." ?  LOL.  Neither are PEview or depends, but I still use them....

> >   LOL.  They owe me their source code.
> Yep, "de dum dum dum, another one bites the dust"
>
> How hard is it to understand - if you want to capitalize on
> someone else's
> code you usually have to pay for it, one way or another

  It should be easy enough for even an accountant to understand:-

Techie:
  "We have to open our source code and give it away to anyone who asks."
Beancounter:
  "What do we get in exchange?"
Techie:
  "How does half-a-million or more free man-hours of highly skilled engineers'
time producing a set of tools that are an essential and valuable asset to the
company in its entire gamut of engineering, development and production practices
sound?"
Beancounter:
  "Bargain."

  It always amazes me that some folks are too short-sighted to take that final
step of reasoning.

> Sorry for the noise, Bill

  Yeh, me too.  What he said.  TITTLL!

    cheers,