Setup.exe hangs forever...

I've been having problems with setting up a fresh install of Cygwin. The setup
hangs forever (more than 12 hours), I click on Cancel and nothing happens but
after a while I get the following error:

Cannot open log file C:\cygwin/var/log/setup.log

yes, the first one is a backslack (\) and the others are forward slashes (/).
This problem happens on brand new XP installations with nothing else but XP2
and all the Windows Update patches, absolutely nothing else.

I'm wondering if any of you have had any similar problems?

Thanks,

Gabriel