RE: ls /dev/*

  You should stop talking now, because you're out of your depth.  Go away
and learn the difference between a physical device and a logical volume, and
come back when your comments have any validity.

> Somebody suggested /mnt. To me
> that's more for remote mounts, so my Z drive might be better
> suited for
> /mnt but C and D are local and I would expect them in /dev not
> /mnt.

  You should learn how posix systems work, since there's nothing 'remote'
about it.  Almost every linux/unix box provides access there to the floppy
and CD drive.  Would you call them "remote" devices?

>Right  now we are
> just talking personal preferences...

  No, right now you are redefining words humpty-dumpty style to mean
whatever you want them to mean.  However "device" and "mounted filesystem"
are two very different things with very clear and well-defined semantics, of
which you are merely unaware.

    cheers,
      DaveK