slightly different cygwin installation problem

I installed all the cygwin packages except for the X11
packages (I set the X11 packages to uninstall) and
although I installed successfully there were a couple
of errors in the installation procedure.

I got an error message (in a Windows error message
box) at one point telling me that it couldn't run
something because the x11 dll was not found.

After okaying that it progressed to
/etc/postinstall/post-texinf.sh where it hung for a
few minutes until I got another error message where it
said "This application could not run because #####.dll
was not found."  I didn't write down what dll it was,
but it wasn't the x11 dll.

Also, and someone else mentioned this, if I download
the packages first and then try to run the
installation from a local directory - it doesn't work.