And I look in it with vi:
E325: ATTENTION
Found a swap file by the name "/etc/.profile.swp"
owned by: luigi dated: Mon Oct 25 13:24:27 2004
file name: /etc/profile
modified: no
user name: luigi host name: ictprods1
process ID: 1840
While opening file "/etc/profile"
dated: Sun Nov 14 13:27:00 2004
NEWER than swap file!

I might have edited something last time, such as adding PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH" but I am not sure.
So far I am tempted to recover it, since teh old version is from the time I did the fresh new install back in late October.

Donat

From: Larry Hall <lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com>
To: "Donat-Pierre Luigi" <dpluigi@hotmail.com>, cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Cygwin has two ROOT tree strcutures and the old one is not the default anymore.
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:25:34 -0500

At 04:23 PM 11/14/2004, you wrote:
>Thanks Larry,
>
>This seems easy enough. I was about to run setup to follow your hunch of the 1st email you sent me. Also, I was reading about "rebase" in same post.
>You are right, I was distracted, I am so used to see the select the loacl package directory selction on the 4th page, I must have added download to the rood path in the 3rd page. I am glad there is way to repair this without re-installing everything. We learn every day.
>I'll try this later this afternoon, here in Los Angeles, CA.
>Good evening to you in MA
>Donat

Yup, should be easy. If not, make sure you get a full refund. ;-)

After you're done, you should be able to remove the unwanted install tree
in 'c:\cygwin\download' if you'd like to regain your disk space.

Good luck,

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746