fetching files with Cyrillic file names

I am trying to fetch text files from a remote XP machine using SSH/SFTP.
The remote machine is running Cygwin 2.05b.0(1), shell is bash. File names
contain combination of Russian and latin characters. Russian characters
are replaced by '?' when I am listing them.

It can not more/less/mv/cp/tar those files. The error I get is

<File_name_with_?_instead_of_cyrillic_chars>: No such file or directory

What I would like to do at the very minimum is to rename them to
latin-only names, and transfer them over.

I do not have sendmail at that machine, and even if I had I would not know
how to attach the files as I can not see them. Therefore I am trying along
the lines of rename+SFTP.

I would appreciate any solution or hint you might have.

Thanks,
Nemanja