FW: Serious Installation problems - possible workround but rapid fix required.

I've done some more tests and here's what I did.

I saved cygcheck from a previous failed installation which created a bin
directory with some contents but didn't complete.

I removed virtually everything from the system apart from Windows
itself, including all references to Cygwin/Cygnus in the registry,
 and the attached file is the output file from

cygcheck -s -v -r > cygout.txt

I then removed Cygwin/Cygnus items from the registry because running
cygcheck appears to add some things to the registry.

I then did an install from the Internet using "Install" for all
components.

This proceeded until (as before):

93%  In-use files have been replaced. You need to reboot as soon as
possible to activate the new versions.
      Cygwin may operate incorrectly until you reboot.

     The Progress window indicates:

       _update-info-dir-00230-1

      /usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-f100-6.8.1.0.README

Clicking OK then produces the folllowing window.

     Can't open Package Database for writing: No such file or directory.

The procedure completes but Cygwin has not been properly installed.

Rebooting makes no difference.

I hope this helps in pinpointing the problem.

John

Name: John B. Macallister  E-mail: j.macallister1@physics.ox.ac.uk
Post: Denys Wilkinson Building, Keble Road, Oxford OX1 3RH,UK
Phone: +44-1865-273388 (direct)  273333 (reception)  273418 (Fax)