RE: Weird interaction between Visual C++ and Cygwin

> If any Cygwin program is running, e.g. a compilation, Visual
> C++ takes an incredibly long time to start up.  This has been
> the case for me for years.

*Any* cygwin program?  If I just have an rxvt terminal up with bash running,
there's no impact on any other apps.

> Does anyone know if there is some sort of locking contention here?

I suspect what you're seeing is the normal "contention" of processes for CPU
time.  If you're running a build with make/gcc/binutils/etc, until the build
is done other apps have half the PC you paid for.  This is not abnormal nor
should it be unexpected.  If gcc is running full-out compiling your files,
unless you take some special action to lower its priority, the next Windows
app to come along is only going to run at "half speed".  Run another app,
and now each process gets only a third of the available processor.  Etc etc.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle