Re: Setup: 'Download From Internet' creates 'c:/cygwin/etc/setup'

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 11:15:05AM -0500, Brian Keener wrote:
> George wrote:
> > Internet Option'.  Files were saved to the root of a currently empty
> > D:/ partition.
> >
> > Ordinarily I'd just delete the 'c:/cygwin/etc/setup' dirs and files
> > as they seem to contain summmary download-specific information, but
> > I'm wondering why this folder was created where it was.  Maybe if I
> > had selected 'Install from Internet' and picked 'c:/cygwin' (on this
> > machine) for the installation directory (neither of which is the
> > case), it might make more sense.
>
> Since you selected Download only then setup bypassed the question for
> the Root Directory for the install but defaulted to C:\cygwin and as
> you point out the C:\cygwin\etc\setup directory has summary download
> and log information for the install.  It would normally place it
> whereever you installed Cygwin but since this was a download only - it
> had to assume where that might be.  I remember seeing this before and
> wondered where else we might place these setup files when it is a
> download only - at one time I beleive these were actually kept as part
> of the download directory and then later moved to /etc/setup but I am
> not 100% on that.

Thanks for the comments, Brian.  What you say makes perfect sense,
though my own opinion is that a 'download only' should be self-contained
to avoid putting a user in a position where he's left wondering why
there's a a mostly empty 'c:/cygwin' folder when he's installed it in,
say, 'd:/cygwin'.

Either way, no big deal. I'll go ahead and delete the dirs/files.

--
George