This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Ssh ignores $HOME
- From: "Ehud Karni" <ehud at unix dot mvs dot co dot il>
- To: pierre dot humblet at ieee dot org
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com, " Ben Wing" <ben at 666 dot com>, " Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs dot org>
- Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:14:24 +0200
- Subject: Re: Ssh ignores $HOME
- Organization: Mivtach-Simon Insurance agencies
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <00e801c4ed55$f82628f0$220110ac@neeeeeee2> <20041229033942.GA624267@hpn5170>
- Reply-to: ehud at unix dot mvs dot co dot il
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:39:42 -0500, Pierre A. Humblet <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 08:24:55PM -0700, Ben Wing wrote:
> > The problem is that ..... ssh is ignoring $HOME (despite its documentation)
> > and arbitrarily looking in /home/$USERNAME. .....
> See last sentence in
This last sentence needs a correction: If there is no /etc/passwd ssh
will use the supplied$ HOME.
I would replace the faq sentence with: "Note that ssh disregard `HOME'
if /etc/passwd does exist."
I have checked this situation many times, as I make a minimal ssh
distribution (that can be run from a CD/flash) that run on machines
where Cygwin is not installed (and consequently - no mounts and
Ehud Karni Tel: +972-3-7966-561 /"\
Mivtach - Simon Fax: +972-3-7966-667 \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Insurance agencies (USA) voice mail and X Against HTML Mail
http://www.mvs.co.il FAX: 1-815-5509341 / \
GnuPG: 98EA398D <http://www.keyserver.net/> Better Safe Than Sorry
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html