Installation not generating C:\cygwin\home folder

I am installing cygwin in order to run a software package for data
visualization.  The instructions I have are to download defaut cygwin and to
edit the following file:

C:\cygwin\home\<user_name>\.bash_profile

The trouble is there in no such file and no cygwin\home directory after
installation.  I am working on a lab computer which I share with other users.

I tried installing the default cygwin on my home PC and the directory is
there.

On my work PC I have:
C:\cygwin
bin
etc
lib
tmp
usr
var
cygwin.bat
cygwin.ico

On my personal machine I have that list and also C:\cygwin\home

If anyone can suggest why my lab PC installs differently it would be
appreciated.
thanks,
Karl.