Re: a standard place to get cygwin

At 03:00 PM 1/19/2005, you wrote:

>Once again I'm required to use cygwin.
>Once again I'm having trouble.
>
>I notice that when I download from different places, I get different
>things included.  In particular, I just downloaded /installed from anl.gov and
>told it to "install" all.  First time I open a cygwin window I notice a problem ...
>it gives me two lines of telling me it can't find grep ... (this happens while
>it's going through the stuff in profile.d).  I check /usr/bin and sure enough
>there is no grep in there.  I do a find in the entire cygwin directory ... it's
>nowhere to be found.  I try copying grep from a far previous version of cygwin
>... doesn't work (some kind of missing DLL error).
>
>This has happened previously on other installs and is among the primary
>reasons I never use cygwin unless I'm forced into it.  I think if I could just
>find 'the right site' that had everything in it ... one I could depend on to always
>include the sensible stuff at least (grep, gawk, Image Magick, the standard stuff) ..
>that this would be a much less irritating experience.  Does such a site exist?
>Where is THE place from which to download cygwin?

I'd be pretty surprised if that was your real problem.  Even though it's
true that some mirrors may be more up-to-date than others, this is typically
a temporary thing.  If you feel this is the issue (after reading what I say
below), then you might want to try mirrors.rcn.net.  I've never had trouble
with that site.

Sounds to me, though, like you have an errant Cygwin install hanging
around.  First thing to do is follow this FAQ:

How do I uninstall all of Cygwin?
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC20>

If after installing with that procedure, you still have problems, you have
a program installed on your system that uses it's own version of
'cygwin1.dll'.  Hunt down that DLL and destroy it.  The program using it
should be able to use the same 'cygwin1.dll' that you just installed.  If
it cannot, contact the provider of that program.

Holliston, MA 01746