Re: Multiple installations and 3PPs

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 06:11:12PM -0500, Dick Repasky wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 08:54:35AM -0500, Dick Repasky wrote:
>>>Roman here is what I do.
>>>
>>>1) Install first instance of cygwin.  2) Export the registry key
>>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE/.../Cygnus Solutions to a file.  Use a filename that
>>>represents the install.  3) Delete the registry key.
>>
>>As usual, everyone is impressed with the fact that they know that
>>cygwin uses registry keys and no one is thinking that they could use
>>cygwin tools to manipulate them.
>
>Incorrect! As usual, everyone follows the path of least resistance to
>solve problems.  They take what they know and what they find out by
>reading and piece them together to form a solution.  From reading the
>available documentation on mount, amateurs like myself are very
>unlikely to conclude that mount can be used to switch between installed
>instances of cygwin.  Chances are that they do know something about the
>registry and they can easily figure out how cygwin makes use of them.
>So, that's what they do.
>
>If you want people to use mount, revise the documentation.  Either make
>the statement explicitly and provide an example, or explain the
>workings of cygwin mounts and how cygwin "starts" clearly enough that
>readers can deduce for themselves that mount can be used.

What documentation suggests that you should be modifying the registry
rather than using mount?  I'd be happy to change it.

As far as "making the statement explicitly", I don't know what's going
on in your head.  I don't know what you find unclear.  Please enlighten
me with specific examples.  Perhaps I am missing something but when I
look in the documentation for descriptions of cygwin's mount table, I
see the mount command mentioned as the command to use to manipulate the
settings.  I would not be overly suprised to find that there is a
section which mentions the registry without mentioning the mount command
but if you have a precise example in mind, it will be fixed.

cgf