cygwin SFTP utilities? and another question

To all,

Hello! I've very new to cygwin and linux and the unix type language and
architecture. I come from a VMS and Windows background so this is new
terratory for me and I'm very confused and know next to nothing.

I've setup cygwin on my Windows XP Pro system to take advantage of using the
SFTP server. I've got it running, but am limited to the very basic running of
it, like adding accounts and updating the passwd file /etc director and
setting up the user account by type ssh username@127.0.0.1. I have people
successfully accessing my SFTP server.

That's it though, that's all I know. Here are some questions:

Is there a way for me to monitor the active connections through cygwin?

Can I kill a connection if I choose to do so?

Also, because of my lack of knowledge in this enviromnet, I have no idea what
I can do with cygwin. I find traversing the realm os cygwin.com very hard as
most of it is way over my head.

Is there some "beginners" information that I can get on cygwin and what I can
do with what I installed or what I can install. I followed the very basic
installation instructions to achieve being able to use the SFTP server.

I would really like to learn, but have no idea of where to begin or where to
find basic enough information to start growing and learning from.

Sorry to all you guru's for asking such simpleton questions, but I can really
use and would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks
ct