Re: Unable to delete a number of directories...

Evan Platt wrote:

At 02:20 PM 2/16/2005, you wrote:

My guess is that it's a Windows NTFS permissions issue. Assuming you want to blow away the entire C:\cygwin tree and start again fresh: log on as Administrator, take ownership recursively of the entire tree, and reset permissions recursively of the entire tree. You then should be able to delete it.

I'm running XP. Never come across this before. I do have admin rights (this is my own home machine). I've tried with Windows Explorer and Windows Commander - I can't even remove the read-only attribute on the file.

Pardon my ignroance - does taking ownership recursively of a folder apply under XP home? If so, I have no idea how to do that, nor is that anything I've ever needed to do.

Only thing I see when right clicking that folder is properties, and if I uncheck Read-Only, when I hit apply I get access denied.

If your getting access denied then you're not the owner. What do you see when you open an Explorer, right click on the Cygwin folder, select Properties. Do you see a Security tab. If so go there then click Advanced, then Owner. Select your user and that should recursively take ownership of the folder. Not certain on XP Home if this is exactly the same but it's similar. You can check it by OKing out of everything then going back to the Security tab. It should list the user you selected there at least. Plus the Advanced: Owner tab should show the new owner. At this point deletion should be possible.
--
How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?