Re: Bug in 'find' 4.2.11-CVS when traversing NTFS mount points

On Feb 17 01:52, Tim Hubberstey wrote:
> I'm experiencing a problem with 'find' when mounted NTFS volumes
> (junctions) are involved. I have created a sample directory structure
> /cygdrive/c/aa/aa where 'aa' is the mount point for another NTFS drive.
>

> >From DOSland it looks like this:
> C:\> dir \aa
>  Directory of C:\aa
> 2005/02/17  00:35       <DIR>          .
> 2005/02/17  00:35       <DIR>          ..
> 2005/02/17  00:35       <JUNCTION>     aa
>
> The problem behavior with find is that these command works:
>
> $ find /cygdrive/c/aa -name @@@F\*
> /cygdrive/c/aa/aa/@@@FindMeFirst
> $ find /cygdrive/c/aa/aa -name @@@F\*
> /cygdrive/c/aa/aa/@@@FindMeFirst
>
> but this gets errors and @@@FindMeFirst is not found:
>
> $ find /cygdrive/c -name @@@F\*
> find: Filesystem loop detected; `/cygdrive/c/aa/aa' has the same device
> number and inode as a directory which is 2 levels higher in the
> filesystem hierarchy.
>
> I tried with CYGWIN=smbntsec and CYGWIN unset and the behavior was the
> same. Volumes mounted on a root folder (e.g. C:\mnt) get the same error
> except for "...which is 1 level higher...".

The reason for your problem is that Cygwin doesn't check for volume mount
points.  FWICT, there's a very simple solution for that, calling a specific
Windows function (GetVolumePathName) from inside Cygwin.

But I'm sure you don't want that.  Using this function inside of Cygwin
slows down Cygwin incredibly, because that function is staggeringly slow.
I called find in medium sized directory trees and find needed about 10
times longer to traverse the directory tree than without this function.

Sorry, but there's currently no good solution for that.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.