Re: Using ssmtp to send email as a different user (-f doesn't seem to be working)

thomas revell wrote:
> Apologies if I'm missing something really obvious here, but I can't seem
> to get ssmtp to use the -f option, to change the address to send from. My
> situation is like this:

>From a glance at the code without any real testing, it looks like it
changes the From: header correctly, but doesn't give the right "MAIL
FROM:" in the smtp communication.

Try downloading the source, changing the line in ssmtp.c
        smtp_write(sock, "MAIL FROM:<%s>", uad);
        smtp_write(sock, "MAIL FROM:<%s>", from);
and see if that does the trick.

Note that this isn't really a Cygwin issue, you should probably submit
further questions upstream at
http://packages.debian.org/testing/mail/ssmtp

Someday I'll try to update the Cygwin package, by the way; but I've been
very busy, so if anyone else is keen to maintain ssmtp, they are welcome
to it.

Robert