keychain locking problem (Was test -f occasionally fails on sym links)

Hi All...

The reason I ask is that keychain uses

if tl_error=`ln -s $$ "$lockf" 2>&1`; then

inside its takelock function as an atomic operation for creating a lock. It then uses

if [ -f "$lockf" ]; then

to test for an old style lock file, and this sometimes fails (incorrectly succeeds) and generates an error message.

From what I can find, this is expected to be an atomic operation and one of
the ways programs do file locking.

I ran into this when I did high load testing for the ssh-add hang problem.

In preparation for a keychain-service release, I provide an example, where I only run keychain on the first launched (login) shell (which also has the advantage of speeding things up substantially). To do this, I launch keychain as follows

   if (umask 0377; : > ~/.keychain/${HOSTNAME}-keys) 2>/dev/null; then
     keychain --quiet ~/.ssh/identity ~/.ssh/id_dsa ~/.ssh/id_rsa
   fi

and the lock file is cleaned up by the keychain-service. This does seem to be safe (only verified by load testing under Cygwin). I found this method in the UNIX CD Bookshelf.

So...my questions are

1) Is this a safe method?

2) Is there a better method for me to use in Cygwin?

3) Should this problem be fed to the upstream keychain maintainer?

Thanks,

...Karl