revisiting case sensitivity

Greetings,

I've got a whole bunch of directories and files, formerly on debian,
burnt to CD, that XP will only see as ALLCAPS.  I read the archived
thread from February "insensitive case problem in latest cygwin"
(http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-02/msg00454.html) wherein I
found:

------------------- BEGIN /usr/local/bin/mvv -------------------
#!/bin/sh

Is this pretty much the final word at the moment?  I tried all the
steps in Dave Korn's post, ren wasn't found, neither was move; mv got
me the "both the same" failure.  If Igor's snippet above *is* the last
word, can someone maybe help me decipher it or maybe point me to a
favorite bash tut to help bring me up to speed?  I am pretty new to
cygwin in particular and as yet none to snappy with shell scripting in
general; all help appreciated.

beau