Re: latex coredumps on cygwin 1.5.14-1

Dave Johnson wrote:
Hello all,

Today I upgraded to cygwin 1.5.14-1, and now latex coredumps
immediate upon execution.  It doesn't matter what latex
source file is used, or even if none is used:

$ latex

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Latex worked fine under the version available in December 2004 (sorry, I don't remember the version number). I looked through the FAQ and email archive since December, and I find no mention of any latex problems, so I'm not sure if I've installed something wrong. I use latex extensively, so any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

I have the same problem, latex core dumps as above (WinXP SP2).

I tried running latex with strace:

$ strace latex
One or more CON code pages invalid for given keyboard code

And a windows saying:
Title: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
~
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:1013 IP:210f OP:63 69 66 69 65 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
[Close] [Ignore]

The OP info seems like ASCII text: cifie

GDB has this to say:

$ gdb latex
GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
[gdb general info snip]

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/latex.exe

0x00451d7e in inflate_fast ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00451d7e in inflate_fast ()
#1  0x00452aca in inflate_fast ()
#2  0x610067c8 in toascii () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
#3  0x610069d0 in dll_crt0@0 () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
#4  0x00000000 in ?? () from
(gdb)

I cannot see anyway for me to fix latex myself (config file or similar) using the above info :-(

Bernhard