Re: zsh startup oddity

On  1 Apr, Michael Wardle wrote:
>  By what mechanism are you ensuring zsh is invoked as a login shell
>  rather than a non-login shell?

I think we were starting it via the cygwin shortcut (cygwin.bat), which
as you have said, just runs bash --login.  IIRC, the way we were
starting zsh was via an exec inside the user's .profile.  The trouble
was, the .profile was not being run if Cygwin's mkdir created the
/home mount point directory instead of Windows.

>  Does $- include "i"?
>  Does setopt show that interactive is on?
>
>  With Cygwin 1.5.13, zsh 4.2.4-1 and the simple shell invocation utility
>  posted to this list on March 24 <4242381E.2020008@endbracket.net> (which
>  sets argv[0] to "-zsh"), zsh recognizes that it is a login shell and
>  correctly sources .zprofile.

Ah!  Looks perfect!  Thanks, Michael, we'll give that a try.

>  You've probably already checked these things, but I'd be surprised if
>  this behavior was due to file permissions.

We weren't surprised - we were flabbergasted!  Anyway, we'll give your
excellent shell.c a try and see how that goes.

Peter Castro replied to:

> > But /etc/passwd would source $HOME/.zprofile if /home had been created
> > by Windows Explorer.
>
> I am unable to reproduce this.  Are you using the zsh.bat file provided
> or a custom startup bat file or just running the shell by itself?  Please
> make sure you are using the '-l' option to force a login shell.  zsh has
> greatly changed in a years time.  Please consider upgrading to a later
> release.

No, we weren't using zsh.bat.  Where does that get installed?  I can't
find it, though I see I have zsh 4.2.4 installed from my very recent
complete re-install.

I like the sound of Michael's shell.c because you don't need a separate
..bat file to start up each different shell.

Thanks for the suggestions,

luke

luke