Re: zsh startup oddity

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 16:58 +1000, Luke Kendall wrote:
> On  1 Apr, Michael Wardle wrote:
> >  By what mechanism are you ensuring zsh is invoked as a login shell
> >  rather than a non-login shell?
>
> I think we were starting it via the cygwin shortcut (cygwin.bat), which
> as you have said, just runs bash --login.  IIRC, the way we were
> starting zsh was via an exec inside the user's .profile.  The trouble
> was, the .profile was not being run if Cygwin's mkdir created the
> /home mount point directory instead of Windows.

Could this be because it was bash rather than zsh sourcing .profile?  If
your home directory was created by Cygwin, it would have also copied the
skeleton user files including .bash_profile.  If .bash_profile exists,
bash ignores .profile.  Similarly, zsh normally ignores .profile
if .zprofile exists.

--
Michael Wardle <michael@endbracket.net>