Re: Overriding the default HOME priority settings

IIRC $HOME is set in /etc/profile. You can easily change /etc/profile
to do what you like. What I used to do is make one /etc/profile then
 everybody symlinked to it.

Unfortunately, that won't work for us here, since Cygwin is primarily used by CS people who want a UNIX environment on their laptop, without giving up the native Windows installations. VMWare and Linux isn't a solution for everybody, since they also want a decent shell environment in Windows (and let's face it the Windows command line lacks elegance).

Since the portables aren't always connected to the network (and
oftentimes are connected outside of our SMB/NFS export range when they
*are* on the network), they need to have a local $HOME, even when
they're logging into their portable using cached domain credentials.

2. Change the master /etc/profile to get/set $HOME from /etc/passwd (that is the symlinked master /etc/passwd).

I'll have to have /etc/profile local to the machine in question, but to clarify, this method will override the domain map as the "first preference"?