What puts /cygdrive in the root directory?

I've noticed this on two different installations: suddenly the directory
cygdrive/ has appeared in the Cygwin root directory. I didn't put it there
and it's dated 1st Jan 1970, suggesting some kind of automated imposition
from above. I guess its creation came with one of the recent upgrades? I
find it rather awkward (eg suddenly "find /" finds stuff in _all_ the drives
on my system) so I've deleted it. Can anybody tell me anything about its
mystery arrival? Thanks.
Fergus