Re: Windows Update hosed Cygwin

Teun Burgers <a.rburgers <at> quicknet.nl> writes:

> Hugh D. Hyatt wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I installed several Win98 updates from the microsoft.com web
> > site.  After re-booting (grrrrr!) Cygwin, Firefox and Thunderbird all
> > gave fatal exception 0D at 0000:00010000.  After uninstalling those I was
> > able to, everything was back to normal.  Here are the updates I installed
> > and then uninstalled:
> >
> > 	Mapped Drives Shutdown Update
> > 	Root Certificates Update
> > 	Windows Critical Update Notification 4.0
> > 	Security Update for Windows 98 (KB891781)
> > 	Security Update for Windows 98 (KB891711)
> > 	Security Update for Windows 98 (KB888113)
> > 	Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
(KB867282)

> > If I go back and trying applying them one at a time until I discover
> > which one caused the trouble, I'll post a follow-up.
>
> I had the same problem. The culprit is KB891711.
> Googling for kb891711 and windows 98 will give more information.
> Has nothing to do with cygwin.
>
> Teun

Thank you Teun and Hyatt,

I had the same problem and was almost giving up after reading all of Microsoft
web site support pages. The problem is indeed with KB891711. I had installed
Mozilla and after windows update installed the KB891711 nothing worked. Just
removed the update and everything is normal again.

Tks.

Carlos - Brazil