Re: cygheap base mismatch detected

Andreas Heckel wrote:
Hello all,

I know there were a lot of similar questions to this point in the past, but I didn't find a answer to my problem:

I get the error message:

---
v:\julian\TRAJ\Traj2.xi686 (2116): *** cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x61800000/0x72140000.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version *should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
---

The program Traj2.i686 is a FORTRAN prog I "ported" from a ALPHA machine where it is running perfectly. Compilation with g77 gave no problems.

I checked several times but there is really not more than ONE cygwin1.dll in the system.
I installed a fresh cygwin version right today, rebooted, the error remains.

I got this error for the first time yesterday while running my script to test the limits of Fortran array sizes. The reference to "incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL" is spurious, I think. By varying my array size I can get "*** MapViewOfFileEx(0x224, in_h 0x224) failed, Win32 error 6" or the program just fails to produce output. The symptoms may differ, but the problem is the same.

Cygwin versions of g77 (and gfortran) are broken with regard to handling large amounts of memory, where "large" equals 150 MiB or so and is *not* all that large for a Fortran program.

The solutions:

  - Try the -mno-cygwin switch (thus creating a non-Cygwin executable).
    Be aware that you may need to recompile any external libraries.

- Install g95 (http://www.g95.org/)

If the first does not work for you immediately, i suggest going straight to the second. G95 is pretty good these days and the Cygwin snapshot currently available for downloading has no major bugs, I believe.

--
Mark Hadfield            "Ka puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tatou"
m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz