I cannot change cygdrive prefix (yes, checked docs, faq and archives)

Nothing I can change the cygdrive prefix.  I recall
being able to do it before.

# show current mount table:
/> mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
y: on /cygdrive/y type user (binmode,noumount)

# attempt to change mount prefix:
/> mount -s -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /

# verify that it thinks it changed it:
/> mount -m
mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/lib" "/usr/lib"
mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin" "/"
mount -s -b --change-cygdrive-prefix "/"

# show current mount table:
/> mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
y: on /cygdrive/y type user (binmode,noumount)

# (see, it's still "cygdrive")
# try anyway:
/> cd /c
bash: cd: /c: No such file or directory

I looked in the registry and verified thare are
no user mounts and that the cygdrive prefix is "/".

I read the doc where it talks about matching the
longest prefix, if there's more then one, but I think
that's only for display.   I absolutely recall being
able to change the prefix to "/" so that my C: drive
was "/c".   Did they change the behavior in later
versions of Cygwin?  Any help to get rid of the
lengthy
"cygdrive" prefix would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

   -Chris