Re: rsync hangs on checksum synchronization

At 08:31 AM 4/9/2005, you wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>I'm experiencing another variant of the rsync hang-problem. I'm using rsync
>locally to synchronize some large amount of data (~ 80 GB of media files)
>with an attached USB harddrive. The command I use for everyday
>synchronization reads as:
>
>rsync -CvubrltgoD -v --delete --backup-dir=/CYGDRIVE/p/BACKUP
>--exclude="System Volume Information" --exclude="RECYCLER"
>--exclude="desktop.ini" --stats --progress /CYGDRIVE/m/ /CYGDRIVE/$1
>
>This command just works as expected - no problems occur. However, I want to
>run a cron job every month that performs a thorough, binary comparison
>between the two trees. The command reads as:
>
>rsync -cCvubrltgoD -v -v --delete --backup-dir=/CYGDRIVE/p/BACKUP
>--exclude="System Volume Information" --exclude="RECYCLER"
>--exclude="desktop.ini" --stats --progress /CYGDRIVE/m/ /CYGDRIVE/$1
>
>As you will notice, the only noticeable difference is the additional
>"-c"-switch which implies the use of checksums.
>
>Running the second command results in a large list being built (locally,
>>from /CYGDRIVE/m/), which soon stops after about 100 files. The point where
>it stops is not identical all the time.
>
>I don't know if I should attach the result of the cygcheck-command here
>since it contains a large amount of data - if you need any more information,
>please ask me to provide it. Google could not help me in this issue, and I
>can't see why the command in question should not work.

'cygcheck -srv' is always a help.  I'd suggest *attaching* an uncompressed
version in any follow-up.  How large could it be?  Mine's 43K.

Also, please note that if any of your mounted drives ('/cygdrive/X')
require windows authentication to access, you'll have trouble with that
when running as a service (if the service is run as 'SYSTEM' rather than
under your Windows login).

Holliston, MA 01746