Recovering /etc/setup/installed.db

Suppose I have a polished setup installation of a subset of the Cygwin
resource, and not necessarily the latest versions of things. I've lost
/etc/setup/installed.db which would provide all the details. Is there a
way I can recover it? I thought about trying to use cygcheck,
remembering the copious output from it; but I think cygcheck _uses_
installed.db to provide this output, it can't be used to build it?
Fergus