How do I solve/work around "Resource temporarily unavailable"

I've got a "make" process that's pretty complex and does many recursive invocations (at most 4 deep, though). With some additions to the build, I seem to have recently crossed over some threshold which now causes the build to use up all available process resources, so nothing more can be run.

After a few runs of the build, I get these sorts of messages:
/bin/bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
/bin/bash: line 1: /usr/bin/find: Resource temporarily unavailable

And many more similar variations.

Once this state is reached, only a reboot seems to cure it.

This is the case on my notebook XP system (cygcheck.out attached below) as well as an older w2k system running a slightly older cygwin (cygcheck-brie.out).

I've seen a few similar questions posted, but no solutions.