Variable not set correctly in bash

Gents

I'm running some rsync scripts in order to backup my Linux machine to my
windows machine (unfortunately, the windows one is the one with more
capacity)

These scripts actually run fine when running in "standard" Linux
environments (using the between linux's as well), but for what ever
reason, I have a problem with initializing a variable, when running
these scripts under cygwin.

The code snippet in question is the following:

---cut---

for OLD in 6 5 4 3 2 1  ; do

        if [ -d $DATA_PATH/$SERVER/daily.$OLD ] ; then

                NEW=$[ $OLD + 1 ]

                # Datum sichern

                touch $DATA_PATH/timestamp -r
$DATA_PATH/$SERVER/daily.$OLD

                mv $DATA_PATH/$SERVER/daily.$OLD
$DATA_PATH/$SERVER/daily.$NEW

                # Datum zurueckspielen

                touch $DATA_PATH/$SERVER/daily.$NEW -r
$DATA_PATH/timestamp

        fi

done

---cut---

The Variable $OLD is not set properly.  Issuing the command "touch
$DATA_PATH/timestamp -r $DATA_PATH/$SERVER/daily.$OLD" then creates a
directory "daily" instead of "daily.(something between 1 and 7)"

This of course causes the next line to fail as well.

As I mentioned, under "normal" Linux, the same script runs just fine.

Anyone with any useful hints/tips?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Andre